Back pain is a common complaint worldwide. Many people will experience back pain at least once during their lifetime. Chronic back pain is the cause of 14% of long term disability in the UK.
Symptoms can include limited range of motion, pain radiating to the legs, inability to stand straight. However there are some conditions were you must see a doctor as early as possible as they indicate a much complicated problem. These condition are:
- If the age of the patient is less than 20 years old or more than 50.
- Constant progressive pain.
- Morning stiffness.
- The presence of fever, night sweats, weight loss.
- The presence of bowel or bladder problems.
Causes of lower back pain:
It can be caused by any of the following:
- Strained muscles or ligaments
- Lifting heavy weights
- After a sudden movement
- Less commonly due to a structural cause as bulging disk
What can be done to prevent having back pain ?
You can prevent it by following these instructions:
- Exercise regularly by have a 30 minute walk daily
- Quit smoking (if you are a smoker)
- Maintain a normal body weight. If you are having back pain and you are obese, then loosing weight can be of great value in terms of relieving the pain
- Stand smart, sit smart and lift smart. And let me explain what's meant by "lift smart". When you are going to lift something, keep your back straight and bend your knees only.
What can be done to relief back pain ?
The use of pain relievers are used in many cases. However i do not recommend using them unless you try the following:- Massage
- Physical therapy: which includes the application of heat, ultrasound, muscle release techniques to the muscles of the back.
- Chiropractic care
If the above solutions do not relief the pain, then your doctor may use cortisol injections to help relief the pain.
In a minority of cases, a surgery can be done in order to correct an underlying structural abnormality.
FDA had approved the use of Cymbalta, an antidepressant, for the management of chronic musculoskeletal pain and chronic lower back pain. Besides the drug is approved to treat diabetic nerve pain and fibromyalgia.
This was announced on 04 Nov. 2010
Bottomline, do not made any sudden movements. Exercise regularly and maintain a normal body weight. Avoid lifting heavy weights.