These drugs include:
- Stimulants: as caffeine, ephedrine, amphetamines. These drugs will speed up and stimulate some areas in the brain which will make the athletes' reflexes faster.
- B2-agonists: these are similar to stimulants in its action. Besides, these drugs have significant anabolic effects.
- Anabolic steroids: as testosterone. They increase the muscles strength and weight. Besides, they improve an athlete's overall performance and acceleration.
- Diuretics: as furosemide and mannitol. These drugs help in reducing the body weight by excreting more water out of the body. And this can have a positive effect on the athlete's performance.
- Narcotics: as morphine and pethidine. They increase the pain threshold so the athlete will feel pain after a longer period of time. This is beneficial in sports in which aggression is required.
- Hormones: as erythropoietin. Erythropoietin is secreted normally by the body. But it can be taken from external sources. It stimulates the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells. In turn, the athlete's blood will have a greater content of hemoglobin.
All the above drugs can lead to the manipulation of a fair game. That's why all athletes are advised to avoid taking them because if the drug test came back positive, then this will have a negative effect on the athlete's reputation.